Saturday 17 September 2016

Day 17 - Tsukar 75 kms - 4,700 metres ! " A Fair Wind "!

This must be a dream , rocketing along on a flat well paved bitumen roiad at 30+ kms/he after 2 weeks of gruelling climbs and road conditions - all I needed now was for the mountains to start looking like ice cream cones and to see Kate Perry hitching a lift to really know that AS had claimed yet another victim !

We'd started with the sun finally climbing over the surrounding mountains to warm us on our 7km switchback climb out of Whiskey Nullah to the Lachung La pass at 5100 metres. The 25km descent that followed was a mountain bikers dream if you excluded, rocks, dust, vehicular traffic and other various hidden hazards !

The scenery travelling down the narrow valley was subliime at one stage opening up into a 180 degree view of the road cut away into the mountain side.Travelling down to Pang we rested in the heat with another 7 km switchback climb staring us straight in the face. While Pete and I took advantage of a warm coke we watched as Graham worked his way up the switchbacks disappearing into the distance

Eventually both Pete and I got off our butts for our 2nd climb of the day rewarded by expansive views on the way up and an open view of the well know Morey Plains when we reached the top

With lunch restoring some energy we took off on the final 30+ kms to camp matching speed with some of the larger trucks as a result of a fabulous tail wind behind us

Enjoying the opportunity to let go of the leash I took off in the beautiful solitude of this magic open area being punished though when I finally came across our support vehicle who informed me (I thought) that I'd overshoot the camp's turn off 2 kms back.

Turing around into the wind I laboriously cycled back to be met by Pete and our guide Sabu coming the other way ! Sabu was adamant that we hadn't yet reached the turnoff so turning around once again I cycled back in my original direction to see your support vehicle!e waiting 7 kms ahead at the correct turn off

When I asked why they'd instructed me to turn around Raj & Nanuck sheepishly replied that they thought I'd asked how far back Pete was thinking that I'd like to ride with him !!
A few kms of tough sandy off road riding took us to our isolated camp site a km or two short of the Tsukar salt lake and wetlands area which a couple of us were fortunate to explore thanks to our support vehicle later that afternoon

With the sun starting to go down the wind picked up with some ferocity ! Tomorrow brings one of our biggest challenges on tour so far the 5300 metre Tanglang La. - a monster in any language !





On the way to Pang ! 
 

Up on the Moray Plains ! 



Wetlands near camp 












No comments:

Post a Comment